According to the American Lung Association, there are many cleaning supplies and household products on the market that can cause numerous health conditions from minor things like throat or eye irritation to headaches all the way to major things like cancer. Read more about it here…
We all know that health and wellness is on the rise. Many products are being advertised as “safe” and “all-natural”, but are they really all that safe? The packages are pretty and the labels are clever, but the more you dig, the more you find out.
Have you checked that link to the American Lung Association above? It explained how so many common household cleaning products can lead to health problems like eye and throat irritation, headaches, respiratory issues, allergic reactions, worsened asthma, and possibly even cancer! Yuck!!
When choosing products to use in our home, it seems easiest to just grab whatever items are available at our local stores. However, those products may not be the safest. Sadly many of them - even the “green” ones - contain ingredients you do NOT want in your house or anywhere near your family.
But what ARE those ingredients and why don’t we want to use them?
Lets have a deeper look:
- Formaldehyde - This is a preservative that is often seen in lotions, cosmetics, and baby wipes. It’s a known carcinogen and can cause skin and respiratory irritations.
- Phthalates - These are a group of chemicals found in personal care products and many plastics and vinyl. They can affect your endocrine system, reproductive health, and even potentially cause cancer.
- VOCs - Volatile organic compounds (VOCs) are gases that are emitted into the air. They’re found in some building materials, home and personal products, gasoline, and even things like glue and permanent markers. Breathing VOCs can cause eye, nose and throat irritation as well as difficulty breathing and nausea, even damage to the central nervous system and other organs. Some VOCs can even cause cancer.
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) and Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES) - These are surfactants commonly used as an emulsifying cleaning agent in household cleaning products (laundry detergents, spray cleaners, and dishwasher detergents). In other words they keep things mixed up and help them create lather. Oftentimes they are synthetically derived and have the potential to cause skin irritation.
- Ethanolamines (MEA, DEA, and TEA) - These are found in many household and personal care products and have been linked to organ system toxicity, bioaccumulation, and even cancer.
- Triclosan - This is found in many antibacterial soaps, hand sanitizers, and detergents as well as some toothpastes, deodorants, cosmetics, plastics, and more. It can affect the thyroid and endocrine system and was recently banned by the FDA to be used in “antiseptic washes” but can still be found in some other products like toothpaste, cosmetics, and even clothing, kitchenware, furniture, and toys.
- Fragrance - The word “fragrance” can appear on a label and contain an enormous list of ingredients that a company is not required to disclose, as it is considered a ‘trade secret.’ That means a product could contain some awful ingredients and the consumer wouldn’t even know! These chemicals could be linked to cancer, reproductive and developmental toxicity, allergies and sensitivities. Why take the risk?
These are just a FEW of the ingredients you want to avoid when bringing products into your home. But isn't it exhausting to have to read label after label, wondering if what you’re using is safe?
Well, I’ve found out, that I don't have to! There are not ANY of those ingredients in the Thieves product line we use. AND I can trust that what I am purchasing is truly a SAFE product. No artificial dyes, harsh chemicals, or synthetic fragrances. How wonderful is that?! And the best part… it all comes directly to your door. Easy peasy!
Discover Your Next Step!
Take a few moments to complete our brief questionnaire and unlock
the perfect path towards your wellness goals.