The average adult human body is about 50 to 65 percent water, while the percentage of water in infants is much higher, up to 79 percent. (Medical News Today: "average water percentage") It's common for the amount of water in the body to decrease from birth to old age.
Yes, this means your skin, muscles, and brain are mostly water, making proper hydration key to a healthy body.
How much water is enough??
There's an easy calculation for that!
In lbs/oz = take your weight (in lbs) and divide by 2
In kg/ml = take your weight (in kg) and divide by 3.2
That will give you a good estimate of the number of ounces (oz) or milliliter (ml) of water you should drink every single day.
Start every single day start out with 16 oz (500ml). I love to add a drop of lemon oil (vitality line) for the cleansing properties too! Another way to get in your water is to make sure you have at least 8 oz (250ml) before every meal.
H2O is the way to go
Having a tall glass of water before each meal will not only add to your daily hydration, but it will help you eat a little less at your meal, improve your skin, put you in a better mood, and even give you more energy.
"Indulge in a tall glass of water before you eat anything and you’ll see results fast in so many ways."
- Eat less at meals
- Improve your mood
- Help your skin glow
- Lose and maintain weight
- Feel more energized
Do all those numbers make your head spin?
- Make it easy....get a 32 oz water bottle and fill it up 2-3x during the day.
- You are well on your way to being more hydrated!
Drinking adequate water promotes what’s known as a thermogenic state, which increases your metabolic rate.
In a nutshell, this means that your body has enough hydration to work as efficiently as possible to carry out all of the activities it does on a daily basis, like:
- repairing cells
- digesting food
- kicking into gear the metabolism
People often mistake thirst for hunger
Staying properly hydrated will help you recognize true hunger. When you stay properly hydrated by taking sips from your water bottle, you’re less likely to take a handful from your snack stash.
If drinking water is hard for you, here are some tried-and-true tricks of the trade:
- Drink water at room temperature
- Add a slice of lemon, orange, cucumber, or some berries to make it a tad more exciting. I love to add oils! Peppermint and lemon or orange are my go-to. They are also great for digestion.
- Substitute unsweetened green tea or herbal teas to help meet your fluid goals (just don’t add sweetener)
- Try seltzer, if adding bubbles is the only way you’ll drink up. It’s also important to note that not all carbonated water is created equal. While carbonated water is just water plus air, some bottled seltzers and flavor enhancers contain sodium, natural and artificial acids, flavors, sweeteners, and other additives.
- Invest in a large caraffe or bottle and calculate how often to refill to achieve your minimum - set a goal for more than a minimum
Side note: You’ll know you’re doing a good job getting your fluids in if your urine is clear and odorless by noon.
... a huge health concern
Did you know???
- Drinking pop is a huge health concern, increasing the risk of obesity, stroke, and other heart complications.
- Water may reduce the harm and prevalence of these diseases, and has a host of other benefits for the mind and body.
- A constant supply of water is necessary to replenish the fluids lost through activities such as respiration, perspiration, and urination.
- H2O provides fluid balance by helping transport nutrients in the body, regulate body temperature, digest food, and much more.
- The body loses water through breathing, sweating, and digestion, so it's vital to rehydrate.
Drinking fluids and eating foods that contain water can act as a digestive aid. Proper digestion makes minerals and nutrients more accessible to the body. Water is also necessary to help you digest soluble fiber, which helps the bowel make well-formed, soft stools that are easy to pass.
Discover Your Next Step!
Take a few moments to complete our brief questionnaire and unlock
the perfect path towards your wellness goals.